7.26.2009

Waterproof Camera

I went Kayaking yesterday, and I was clever enough to bring a zip-lock back to protect my old Sony DSC-T50 camera. I was not clever enough to realize that this camera still has enough weight to sink like a rock if it falls out of the Kayak. 15 minutes into the trip I hit a little rough water and the camera was lost… (oh well- it was a camera that was given to me as the original owner had a replacement and no longer wanted it- easy come, easy go!)

If anyone happens across this camera in the Chattahoochee river, please email me the pics and feel free to keep the camera. :)

Photo 1: PowerShot D10I am now considering a replacement Canon PowerShot D10 waterproof camera- along with the Canon AKT-DC1 accessory kit. It is not the smallest point-and-shoot camera, but it is rated to a depth of 10m (33ft) and is much smaller and more ‘reasonable’ than spending $180+ on the WP-DC17 case for my Canon SD-870IS. It is also rated to survive a 4’ drop (which is a rating that I have accidently tested with a former Casio camera- with unsuccessful results)

After reading a few reviews, this camera may be good for both in the water and as a general point-and-shoot:

I have a few things to return to Fry’s today so I will probably swing by the camera department and have another hands-on look at the D10. Looks like I may need to plan a few more kayaking/canoeing/tubing weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment