3.28.2006

New Toy! v2.0!


Ok, I said I was never going to buy another PDA as they are useless, but I ordered the Dell Axim X51v today- it is scheduled to ship on 03/30 (if Dell's estimates are right) with overnight shipping so I should have it by Friday...

I decided to return the Nokia N770 as it was just to damn slow- it was a great idea, but I couldn't justify spending that much for something that was such a pain to use it. I returned it (no restocking fee- I love Fry's Electronics!) with the idea of putting the return of cash into an upcoming carputer project- but that project is now on hold until I decide if I can live in a world of 800x480 for a computer screen...

The X51v pretty cool so far from what I have read on the web; there are reviews on PocketNow and Mobile Tech Review- both seem to like it...

It runs Windows Mobile 5 on a VGA (480x640) screen and has a 642Mhz processor, built-in 802.11b, Bluetooth, 64MB SDRAM, 256MB ROM, CF and SD card slots and Windows Media 10.1 (for MP3s, Videos, etc)- I don't think they left too much out on this one...

I reasoned that a PDA has just about the same functionality as the N770- plus the Axim has a lot more horsepower (642Mhz vs. 250Mhz) and there are TONS of applications out there for the Pocket PC (but not necessarily for the Windows Mobile 5 environment)- so I decided to give it a go...

Dell was also having a 30% off sale for the Axim when purchased with accessories (I got the Rhinoskin aluminum case and another 1100ma battery), so it was cheaper to buy the top-of-the-line Axim than it was to buy the middle-of-the-line Axim (and the later only had 240x360 resolution). I am assuming they are about to release a new Axim, hence the discount...

I think that MS Streets and trips will work with it, so all I need to do now is buy a Bluetooth or CF adaptor for my Pharos GPS unit (came with a copy of Streets and Trips 2006 for $79 on sale at Fry's) and I should be good to go for GPS testing. I will probably go the Bluetooth route as more devices can use that and it will free up my CF port for a large CF card or microdrive (for lots of MP3s or some movies).

I will update when I receive the unit...

No comments:

Post a Comment