1.25.2010

Diablo II Lives!

I have a long weekend and I have gotten overly annoyed with playing Demon’s Souls and bored with Borderlands, so I decided to download the classic Diablo II again (gotta love battle.net game management!)

Diablo is still pretty fun, but very ugly in its archaic 800x600 resolution and I figured there must be a way to get the game running at a decent resolution.

image

The people over at Widescreen Gaming have made a loader for Diablo II to allow it to support many different resolutions- such as the 1440x900 (the native resolution on my laptop):

image

Best part about this mod is that it does not modify the original files- rather it has an alternative ‘D2MultiRes’ executable that is used to load the game.

It also appears they have worked out a method for using modern resolutions for StarCraft and WarCraft III- but I haven’t had a chance to try these out yet…

I took a look around for a World of WarCraft triple head monitor patch, but looks like I may just need to upgrade to a Radeon 5890 with eyefinity.

Update- beyond 1440 x 900:

I also tried it out on my desktop.  At 1600x1050 it still looks pretty good:

image

…but when I took it up to 1920x1200 there was some strange artifacts from the textures:

image 

The issues are much more pronounced in the town:

image

There are options for settings at 2560x1600.

No comments:

Post a Comment