That didn’t take very long… I love the rooting/modding/hacking Android community.
This is my addendum to the instructions over at Droid-X Forums
Pre-root stuff (for the non expert at rooting Android- but still with a fair grasp of computer usage)
You will need to download:
- Motorola Droid X Drivers:
- Android SDK 1.6
- DroidXRoot Files (must have an account on DroidX forums to download)
- Install the appropriate drivers for your PC system (i.e. x86 or x64).
- Enable USB debugging for the phone: Menu –> Settings –> Applications –> Development –> check ‘USB debugging’.
- Extract the SDK contents somewhere you can access them; I put the files in c:\SDK.
- Extract the DroidXRoot Files into the ‘tools’ folder of the SDK folder. (For me, C:\SDK\Tools).
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the SDK tools directory (CD \SDK\Tools if you used the same path as I did).
Follow the instructions over at Droid-X Forums:
Step 1: Set up ADB(this was done in the ‘Prep’ instructions)
Step 2: Push exploid to /sqlite_stmt_journals "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals"
Step 3: type "adb shell"
Step 4: type "cd sqlite_stmt_journals"
Step 5: type "chmod 755 exploid"
Step 6: type "./exploid" and follow directions on screen
Step 7: type "rootshell"
Step 8: type in password "secretlol"
youryour’re in root!
Step 10: mount your sdcard to pc and put Superuser.apk and su in the sdcard
Step 11: unmount sdcard
Step 12: in adb (make sure your still in root with the # sign) type in:
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
I could not connect to ADB Shell while the phone was in ‘Mass Storage Mode’- I had to switch to ‘PC Mode’. I was getting ‘error: device not found’
In step 6, it indicates ‘follow instructions on screen’; I had to run this twice to get it to ‘stick’. On the second go I was able to toggle the phone’s Wi-Fi on/off via a screen widget to make the phone invoke ‘hotplug’
[*] Android local root exploid (C) The Android Exploid Crew
[*] Modified by birdman for the DroidX
[+] Using basedir=/sqlite_stmt_journals, path=/sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid
[+] opening NETLINK_KOBJECT_UEVENT socket
[+] sending add message ...
[*] Try to invoke hotplug now, clicking at the wireless
[*] settings, plugin USB key etc.
[*] You succeeded if you find /system/bin/rootshell.
[*] GUI might hang/restart meanwhile so be patient.
In step 10, I was unable to mount the SD card on my PC (or I was misunderstanding what they are communicating). I eliminated steps 10 & 11 and did this:
Exit ADB Shell (should be able to just type ‘exit’)
adb push su /sdcard
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard
(enter password = secretlol)
Continue with step 12