One interesting thing about GigaNews is that they offer statistics for the life of the account.
I started using GigaNews back in July 2006- and since that time I have downloaded aboit 7.8TB of data from them. Note that is that this does not include downloads outside of UseNET- so any Linux ISOs, youtube videos, driver downloads, etc. would be additional bandwidth added- plus the roommate’s usage.
I would guess it would be over 10TB of downloads in the past ~1000 days; that averages out to about 10GB/day...
I love BellSouth/AT&T DSL (at least until they start imposing caps- like everyone else!)
Honestly- I think if/when they do start offering different tiers of service they are going to see almost everyone opt for the lowest/least expensive plan. All of the people currently paying $33/month for basic DSL will go to the $20/month for ‘under 5GB of usage’ (or what-ever crazy rate they specify).
So what happens when 99% of the the ‘normal users’ opt opt for the lowest tier and cut their monthly bills by about 40%? Can the increased charges on the ‘excessive use 1%’ balance things out? Only if they can raise the charges of the remaining 1% about 4060% (so going from $33/month to about $1,340/month).
Even if only if 60% of the people opt to drop their bills down to a $20 tier, the remaining 40% would need to have a 60% increase in their bills for AT&T to break even (the later individuals would need to go from $33/month to about $52.80/month).
If any of the above would happen, people like myself will cancel and go back to Comcast with a 250GB/Mo cap for $43/month (the same amount that I am paying for DSL Xtreme 6.0).
Please note that the above rates are only speculative, but reasonable; I would hope they don’t opt for a rate of $30/month like the rape that Time Warner is trying.