12.02.2007

Weekend Upgrades!

I went a little crazy on PC upgrades this weekend...

I saw Fry's had 4GB of OCZ PC6400 DDR2 RAM for $90 (actually $120 - $30 MIR, but it is $170 at Newegg!) so I headed down after work to pick a set up.  While there I ran across an EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT video card- which just I had to buy... Vista wasn't able to tell much difference between my prior EVGA e-GeForce 7950GT KO and the newer card (both had a 5.8 rating), I was absolutely amazed at the difference in Call of Duty 4!  (GPU Review had some varying comparisons for the two cards).

But that wasn't enough! 

I had been hating on myself for missing the $200 Q6600 Core2 Quad deal from Fry's on black Friday- but there is no way I could lay out the current $300 for a Q6600 and add then on $100+ for a decent motherboard that would support it; so I started doing some research.  I found that my current Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard would support the newer AMD Phenom quad-core CPUs with a firmware update.  I decided to return the KVM switch that I purchased a few weeks ago and get me a Phenom 9500 quad-core CPU!

My Vista rating is now a few points higher- and my games look (and run) a hell of a lot better!

Old rating:

old_rating

New Rating:
new_rating

No comments:

Post a Comment