i.e. P67 (SandyBridge) chipset will NOT resume from sleep mode!
I purchased a MSI P67A-GD65 B3 motherboard with an Intel i7-2600k a few weeks ago and returned the motherboard as it would go to sleep and not resume without a hard power reset (it also froze twice while working, so that was a deciding factor on the return).
I replaced it with an Asus P8P67 Pro. It has been having many of the same issues when trying to resume from sleep mode:
- Short ‘sleep’ sessions allow the PC to return to normal; generally under 1 hour
- Extended (4+ hour) sessions will not resume. Often my USB mouse will be dark and light up briefly when I press a button or move; but no wakey-up.
- Pressing the power button on the system does nothing
- My two options are to press reset or do a hard power off; after which the system comes back with with an unexpected shutdown alert.
Reading various forums (search for ‘P67 sleep mode issues’ and you get 1mil+ results) there are numerous suggestions:
- Disable PLL Overvoltage (specific to the Asus board); did this with no difference
- Issues with SSD drives and sleep mode; replaced the SSD with a SATA3 Winchester drive (and rebuilt Windows 7 from scratch) with no difference
- BIOS update will resolve; latest BIOS and no difference
- Issues with Win7 SP1 and Marvell SATA (SCSI MiniPort) controller Hotfix; Applied and possibly a difference?
- Use MCE Standby Tool; Installed tray icon, but does not appear to prevent sleep mode
- Disabled (as far as I can ascertain) ALL sleep, hibernate and hybrid sleep modes; still goes to sleep and having sleep issues!
powercfg –h off
- Clear BIOS configuration after firmware update and reset to defaults; haven’t tied this one yet.
Today I was able to get my first successful wake from hibernation (albeit hibernation was disabled). I pressed the mouse button on my PC and I heard the HDs click and the system fans spin up. From powercfg I was able to discern:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History 
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source 
Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_849C1043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&C8
Description: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
This is logged as my first wake since I built this system about a week ago- not noting the 10 hard resets I have had to perform since then.
I am not sure if this was from the hotfix or from MCE Standby Tool running before it went into hibernation (or Hybrid sleep?).
I guess I will try the BIOS reset. If that doesn’t work I will go back to Win7 with no SP1 and see what happens…