8.09.2008

Android for the HTC Touch

There is a version of Google's Android platform being developed for the HTC Touch.  It is not very awe-inspiring as of yet; it does the basic stuff- such as make/receive phone calls/SMS messages and browse the web- but that is about it.   It is a development platform, so it needs a 'killer app' before it will become very interesting.

The install allows me to run Android (Linux) on my HTC Touch without flashing the ROM to do so.  The files from the ZIP file should be extracted to the root of a MicroSD card (must be the root- putting the files in a sub-directory causes the extract to fail) and run the executable file (HARET.EXE).  This boots a Linux OS and Android is up and running in a few minutes.  A reset of the device puts it back to normal WM6.1 mode...

There is a contacts option, but so far I have been unable to figure out how to enter information or get it to sync with anything (I assume it will be pointing to GMail contacts?).  I also cannot find a 'menu' option that would all me to change system settings (such as the time- which appears to be set to GMT).

It also appears to not like my 8GB SHDC MicroSD card.  It was running ok when I tested with a 2GB MicroSD, but now I am getting frequent 'Cylon eye' screen a few seconds after booting up- so nothing is responsive now. I will try out my 2GB card again-  just for fun.... :o)

5 comments:

  1. I get the screen past the linux into the part where it says, "ANDROID"

    sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

    Is that because i updated my bios to the latest from htc?

    Thankx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guyss... once i start android postt unix the screen goes blank with our white back light as if its processing but never returns & atlast goes back to windows home screen... plz help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:22 PM

    @jose
    from where can I get the .cab file?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:39 PM

    give it a try from here:

    http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/

    download: http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/android-1.1.zip

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the best Information.I like your blog details.Your blog is giving outstanding performance.This is one of the great post.Android app developers

    ReplyDelete